Personal Finance Classes
How do I manage with the income I have? What about my credit? Is there anything I can do to change it? The answers to these questions are the content of our classes. Clients will discover ways to make more conscious decisions with the intention of meeting their personal goals.
Current Class choices:
Personal Finance: Your Credit - Covers topics in budgeting, credit and organizing finances.
Personal Finance: Managing Your Money - Covers topics in avoiding money traps and the advantages and disadvantages of banking.
Personal Finance: Banking Basics
Personal Finance: Becoming a Homeowner
Interested in registering for classes? Please check our class schedule for upcoming class offerings. Class size is limited to 10 students. All classes are free of charge and are available to interested persons in the area. Each class is approximately two hours in length. Instructors are trained staff or volunteers with experience and expertise in finance. Please note that all participants must register online or by calling 478-746-9803 before attending classes. All classes are held at 538 Orange Street, Macon, GA 31201.
Other services available include one on one financial counseling, assistance in completing individual federal and state income taxes, and FAFSA - The Financial Aid Application for college. FAM is an IRS FAST site that can help you file your federal and state taxes for free. Referrals are made to outside agencies for debt consolidation, first time homebuyers' program, bankruptcy, identity theft and avoiding foreclosure.
Top 5 Money Tips
1. Having trouble figuring out where all your money goes? Write down every dollar you spend for six weeks.
2. The key to financial success is living below your means. Living above your means is called DEBT. Living at your means is called living paycheck to paycheck. Living below your means helps secure your future!
3. Pull your credit report annually to check for accuracy.
4. Create at least one long term and one short term financial goal -- it is easier to save with a plan in mind.
5. Keep doing what you are doing and you will keep getting what you have already got. If you want something different, then DO something different.
Remember: Education empowers people to achieve their goals and to become stronger and more self-sufficient.